LLTI Archives

October 2004, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:22:07 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Bruce Swayne" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 09:06:45 -0600
>From: "Bruce Swayne" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7670 International Television

Rachida -

We use DishNetwork for Spanish (Dish Latino package), French (TV5),
Japanese (TVJapan) and Chinese
(Phoenix).
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/international/index.shtml
 As an educational institution we pay an annual fee per language package
and an additional fee per receiver.  We have two dishes and six
receivers so we feed six channels at a time to multiple TV sets in a
single room, our Resource Center. It is my understanding that to feed
the same signals to multiple sites (rooms) on campus would require a
different contract with the company.

We access German language programming via GermanTV on the same basis.
www.germanTV.info This requires another dish and receiver.

Any local satellite dealer can assist you with the details of
equipment.

We did not choose SCOLA because they wanted to charge us per capita,
not on the number of students enrolled in language courses, but rather
on the total student body of our institution.  It was simply too
expensive for our limited budget.

Good luck,
Bruce

Bruce R. Swayne
Director, Modern Languages Resource Center
MLL Internship Coordinator
MLL Non-credit Instruction Coordinator
Department of Modern Languages & Literatures
Boise State University
1910 University Drive, L144
Boise, Idaho USA 83725-1530

208-426-3452