LLTI Archives

October 2004, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:22:06 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Elisa Wiherin" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 10:29:44 -0400
>From: "Elisa Wiherin" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #7670 International Television

Villanova University just recently signed a contract with SCOLA.  As
this was a new technology, we only got one channel which has the widest
range of diverse programming (Channel 1 -- please see SCOLA's website
(www.scola.org) for more explanation on this topic).

SCOLA operates on a campus level.  Their assumption is that SCOLA will
be broadcast through campus cable and so the affiliation fee is based on
the FTE (Full Time Enrollment) of the campus.

We did not have to set up the Satellite part of SCOLA (the most costly
and difficult part) because we are sharing an already existing dish with
the Library.  We purchased the receiver/decoder preferred by SCOLA and
fed the signal through the already existing campus cable feed.  Very
rarely is a live feed used in the classroom.  Usually, programs are
taped and then shown in class.

My experience with SCOLA as a company has been very positive.  Their
reps are always happy to help and will take the time to explain
(repeatedly, if needed) the ins and outs of getting set up.  All of this
was new to me when I started and I did not find it too terribly difficult.

SCOLA has a wide range of programs that will allow for cultural
examination and native dialect.  Incorporating it into a class shouldn't
be a problem.

Hope that helps!
Thanks,
Elisa