LLTI Archives

October 2004, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:22:06 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 08:29:19 -0400
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #7670 International Television

The best choice does depend on the school. Both the diversity and the
size of the student body/faculty are relevant.

Here at UF with a large international student body/faculty and many
languages taught it would be great if we could afford SCOLA--but since
they charge by the number of students, the price would be astronomical.
For a smaller school with the need for many languages, it would be perfect.

We subscribed to the Dish Network a while ago. The dish is managed by
Campus Video Services. The infrastructure was pretty expensive but once
we got it in place they are averaging out the one-time cost of each new
channel at $500 for the equipment needed to pull that channel out of the
package. In addition, of course, the subscriptions have to be paid
annually. Some Dishnetwork channels come in packages, though, so that
one annual subscription buys several channels (Spanish and Arabic notably).

Rachida mentions Arabic, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese,
Portuguese and Spanish. You can get an Arabic package (Al-Jazeera plus
some movie networks), TV5, a Hebrew channel, RAI, NHK, a Portuguese
package or one station, and a Spanish package.
The one language they DON't seem to carry is German, for which one needs
a separate dish and everything for Deutsche Welle.

Judy