LLTI Archives

October 2004, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 10:43:55 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Judi Franz <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:40:26 -0700
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Judi Franz <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Tapes and CDs and MP3s... oh my!

Hi All,

Since we have converted our language materials (all but ESL) to
digital format and served them over the web, we've had all of our
files in QuickTime format. Our publisher agreements were set up such
that the students weren't meant to download the files, only to listen
to them. However, we still would copy cassette tapes of the material
for students who needed them for whatever reason. We were never in
the CD burning business.

However, since most students now don't have cassette tape players in
their cars or homes, we don't currently have a way to provide them
materials for use during their commutes or when they are away from a
computer.

I know that many of you post your audio files as MP3s. Do you allow
the students to download these and burn their own CDs? Is that OK
with the publishers?

Thanks in advance for your guidance,

Judi
Judi Franz, Director                         U C Irvine
Humanities Instruc. Resource Ctr.            269 Humanities Hall
(949) 824-4500                       Irvine, CA  92697-3775
(949) 824-2803/fax                   http://www.humanities.uci.edu/hirc

2003-05 IALLT Programs Director      http://iallt.org