LLTI Archives

October 2004, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 14:41:58 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Edmund Dente" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: RE: #7650 Culture of Entertainment and Training
>Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 14:59:03 -0400
>From: "Edmund Dente" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"

Because the plain text reposting on LLTI wiped out the text formatting
in my original message (in which I had italicized the quotation I used),
please see below for the correct beginning and end of my citation as
contrasted with my own remarks. (I don't want to join Prof. Tribe and
those other Harvard faculty members who have recently been caught in
plagiarism *grin*)
Cheers,
Ed

> --- Forwarded Message from "Edmund Dente" <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
> >Subject: Culture of Entertainment and Training
> >Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 09:27:08 -0400
> >From: "Edmund Dente" <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information
Forum"

> In a terrific piece on current academic culture as "All Entertainment
> All the Time"  in the latest <<Poets & Writers Magazine >>
>
> http://www.pw.org/mag/teachersguide/indexloun.html
>
> Mark Edmundson discusses the use of computers in Humanities
instruction:
>BEGIN QUOTATION:
> "By putting a world of facts at the end of a key-stroke, computers
have
> made facts, their command, their manipulation, their ordering, central
> to what now can qualify as humanistic education. The result is to
> suspend reflection about the differences among wisdom, knowledge, and
> information. Everything that can be accessed online can seem equal to
> everything else, no datum more important or more profound than any
> other. Thus the possibility presents itself that there really is not
> more wisdom; there is no more knowledge; there is only information. No
> thought is a challenge or an affront to what one currently believes."
END QUOTATION

> OK, so we've seen this sort of response many times before.
Nonetheless,