LLTI Archives

October 2004, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 10:44:01 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Todd Bryant" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Todd Bryant" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"
>Subject: RE: #7648 Ghosting an OS X lab
>Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 07:59:51 -0400

Hi, this is the response from our Apple guru.

Todd Bryant
Language Technologist
Library and Academic Technology
Library and Information Services
Dickinson College
P.O. Box 1773
Carlisle, PA 17013
(717) 254-8941 (voice)
(717) 245-1456 (fax)

There are 2 options: local refresh software (i.e. it keeps a local copy of
each OS X account, then refreshes it on every reboot), or server-based (like
Assimilator).

For local refresh we're using Deep Freeze, which is cross-platform and works
nicely.

About a year ago I experimented with Radmind, a free server-based refresh
program, and found it a nightmare to configure and never really got it
working (I just ran out of time). Now, it's undergone several updates since
then, and I haven't looked at it recently, so it might be a more viable
solution than it once was. Once you *do* get it working (I've
heard) it's a lot like Assimilator, in that you can selectively add/delete
stuff from your lab machines. Maybe when things quiet down I can take
another look at it.

For his image on an external drive, what is he using to do the restore to
the lab Mac? If you have a .dmg file of the drive and use Apple Software
Restore from the command line, you can restore a Mac in ~5 mins. since it
replaces the whole drive image.

Dan