LLTI Archives

September 2004, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:34:43 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Steve & Laura Spinella" <[log in to unmask]>
---

>From: "Steve & Laura Spinella" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "LLTI-Editor" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7634.3 Modern CALL primer needed
>Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 12:45:31 +0800

I need a primer on what's out there now! In the over 10 years I've
subscribed to this list (weird, huh?!), my research is obviously archaic.
Who can point me to information about these kinds of tools now? (I'm
interested in Chinese, but don't worry too much about character-based
questions. I'd like to know what's out there, easy to use for loading up
just-in-time content or robust enough to store a small world of language
content.)

Regarding the original question, I'm a firm believer in using tools for
specific purposes. 8 years ago I asked a teacher to repeat, on my request,
language sentences. (Call it "learner-elicited native speaker
reinforcement"?) That first class was great--live language at my pace, and a
nice sequence of initiative and response variations. Guess what? Next class
she told me I might like to learn that way, but she certainly didn't need to
teach that way and quit! (I didn't try the same thing with the next teacher
;-) Now I limit that kind of activity to technology-enhanced contexts where
I'm not jeopardizing relationships--even if the language isn't all live,
3-d, moving lips and freshly generated.)

So now I'd say there's nothing quite like live language interaction for
learning language, but there's no live language context quite like a good
call solution, either. I'm a pragmatist. I'll take anything that will help
me learn (and others) learn.

Dr. Steve and Laura Spinella, Sarah, Joey, Robby
Ta Yi Street, Lane 29, #18, 2F-1, Taichung 404, TAIWAN
011 886 4 2236-6145, of 2236-1901, fx 2236-2109, cell 9 2894-0514
USA: 9685 Otero Ave, Colorado Springs, CO 80920, 719.528.1702, cell
719.640.1261
TEAM, PO Box 969, Wheaton, IL 60189, 800 343-3144
<www.team.org.tw/spinella>, <www.team.org.tw/ccg> <[log in to unmask]>