LLTI Archives

September 2004, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:40:29 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "David Flores" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:08:59 -0400
>From: "David Flores" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7623 Language Lab Rationale-Seeking Advice

This isn't "objective research" but in my opinion, one of the most
valuable functions of a language lab is that it provides a "foreign
language friendly space" where students can come to practice
pronunciation and speaking drills without feeling self-conscious about
it. Let's face it, most students are going to be less than enthusiastic
about performing pronunciation drills when they are surrounded by other
students in a general-purpose laboratory, a library, or a dorm room with
other roomates. However, if they find themselves in a dedicated space
with other students performing pronuncaition drills, then they'll be
less self-conscious about completing their lessons.

David Flores
Director: Language Learning Center
Loyola College in Maryland
4501 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21210
Ph: (410) 617-5230
Fax: (410) 617 2859

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/20/04 05:14PM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from "de Arana, Juan-Ramon" <[log in to unmask]>
---

>From: "de Arana, Juan-Ramon" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'LLTI-List'" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Language Lab Rationale-Seeking Advice
>Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:50:37 -0400

Hello, everyone,

Our Language Lab has been inactive for a few months now, and we, in our
Modern Language Department, are trying to find a way to rebuild it and
put
it back on business. However, our institution waits for our initiative
before committing to any specific renovation or dollar amount. In other
words, we need to find convincing arguments to present to the College,
make
them see the importance of investing in remodeling and maintaining a
language lab.

I am seeking guidance in building a sound, convincing argument to
present to
our institution. Specifically, I was wondering if any of you could point
me
to some publications or research about the academic or similar impact of
having / not having a language lab in Departments teaching foreign
languages.

We are a campus of some 1,500 students and have a language requirement
of
one year. We currently offer Spanish, French, Japanese, Italian, but
there
seems to be interest in adding Chinese in the future. We also have a
laptop
program for our students and faculty (every freshman will receive a
laptop
upon starting the academic year); we are moving slowly but steadily
towards
wireless solutions, and we complement much of our instruction with
Blackboard.

Intuitively, I do know that a new, exciting language lab with reliable
hardware and software will increase our students' performance, but I
would
like to find more objective data or recommendations that I can
incorporate
in our rationale for our College.

Any advice on this matter will be greatly appreciated. If you so desire
it,
please contact me off the list.

I thank you beforehand for your time in this matter,

Juan-Ramon

--
Juan-Ramon de Arana
Modern Language Department