LLTI Archives

September 2004, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:14:47 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Ross, Andrew" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: Digital to Analog Video Reconversion
>Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 14:35:48 -0400
>From: "Ross, Andrew" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"

Dear All:

I'm curious to know whether any of you are exercising fair-use rights to
material on DVD by means of analog reconversion (running an analog out
from your DVD player to a hardware analog/digital converter (ADC), and
from there into a hard-drive via 1394 or other bus technology.

You're outputting an analog, not digital signal, so the strictures
against cracks like DeCSS don't seem to apply.  I can't see a legal
problem with this (as long as you're keeping within fair use guidelines)
... or am I missing something obvious?

BTW, I've done a little reading on the ARDG (Analog Reconversion
Discussion Group), who released a report but no recommendations in
January of this year. It's very interesting indeed.

Thoughts?  If you don't feel comfortable replying on-list, please
address comments to me directly.

a.

Andrew F. Ross, Director
Language Resource Center