LLTI Archives

September 2004, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:45:03 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from LeeAnn Stone <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:12:50 -0700
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>From: LeeAnn Stone <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7634 Computer-assisted language learning

Valli,

         If we limit our range of applications of technology for language
learning to CALL, or computer-delivered language learning materials, then
we indeed are not making use of the incredible wealth of interactive
learning opportunities that new technologies can provide our students.
Europeans have been ahead of the U.S. in shifting the conceptualization of
the role of technology in language learning from computer assisted (often
conceptually limited with same the assumption you made that this means
solely computer-delivered) to technology-enhanced language learning (TELL).
         Within the umbrella concept of technology-enhanced language
learning, those computer labs can provide an incredible breadth of
interactive learning opportunities which entail students doing research
that they share via discussion boards, through email exchanges, in MOOs,
with online audio exchanges, and many other functionalities. One advantage
of some of these types of activities is that, unlike many interactive
activities in the classroom, they can be captured for discussion, feedback,
evaluation, and correction.
         But the delivery of content with such resources as Hot Potatoes is
not insignificant either. These types of CALL materials can provide
students with often much-needed practice and reinforcement, freeing
classroom time for those activities that make the best use of student and
teacher time together-- such as face-to-face paired and small-group activities.
         I would look forward to discussing this further with you (and
anyone else!) at any time!

LeeAnn Stone

Dr. LeeAnn Stone
(Past IALLT President & former Language Lab Director)