LLTI Archives

September 2004, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:45:00 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 21:04:17 -0500
>From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7634 Computer-assisted language learning

You use technology for things technology does best.  You use people for
things people do best.  Exercises with infinite patience, immediate
feedback, etc., and models that don't depend on instructors that don't
have native proficiency can be served well by technology.  Interactive
speech practice is, obviously, better carried out between two or more
people.

It's not an all or nothing matter... use the best tools available.

--- Forwarded Message from valli subramaniam

>Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:27:43 +0100 (BST)
>From: valli subramaniam <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Computer-assisted language learning
>To: [log in to unmask]

Everyone I have talked to have been saying some wonderful things about
computer-assisted language learning. The schools here (in Malaysia) are
also
being equipped with computers so that language learning is more
effective.
However, I am a little sceptical about this. If language learning is a
social
activity and so it is most effective if there is interaction between
people.
However, lessons on the web allow limited interaction for the learners.
For
example, lessons using the Hotpotatoes programme only allow the
learners to
carry out activities and limited feedback is given. There is no
genuine
interaction. How can this promote language learning? I hope those who
have used
this programme or others can respond to this. Thank you.

  Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today!
Download
Messenger Now