LLTI Archives

September 2004, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:45:02 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Lizz Caplan-Carbin, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
---

>Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:04:10 -0500
>From: "Lizz Caplan-Carbin, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #7634 Computer-assisted language learning

Computer assisted language learning is not designed to replace human
interaction. Its best promise is in providing multi-modal input to
remote learners, and in offering self-paced, self-controlled instruction.

I can stare at a text page of vocabulary for hours and not feel
confident that I have learned anything. But if I play a set of Quia
exercises, for example, I am 100% certain that I know what I've learned.
Its fast and enjoyable and lays a fine foundation for communication.

The greatest thing about Hot Potatoes, Makers, Discovery, and other quiz
engines, is that the learner can create their own exercises as a way of
processing the material.

Hot Potatoes is best for teachers to create customized exercises really
fast. A lot of the exercises you find on the web are tailored to
someone's class curriculum as a supplement.

My latest Hot Potato:
http://webgerman.com/german/wortschatz/Begriffe/match1.htm