LLTI Archives

September 2004, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:15:05 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Betty Woerner <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:20:05 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Betty Woerner <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>cc: Richard Laden <[log in to unmask]>, Olivier Goldschmidt
<[log in to unmask]>, "" <[log in to unmask]>,        ""
>Subject: Mirroring of sound

We have run into a problem here at Reed College pertaining to running a
language lab function in our new iMac lab.  We are running LangLab
software with Califone headsets, to a G5 instructor's station/server.
When the system was tested by the French faculty, they asked why the sound
from the mics was not directed into the earphones of the person speaking.
This feature is very important to them, as they feel the student cannot
truly hear himself unless he hears his voice as if it were over a
loudspeaker.  I confess that, not being a language professional myself, I
never thought of this aspect, and the faculty who tested the system didn't
catch this.

Does anyone have any ideas?  We thought of cutting the wires in the
headsets, installing a splitter, and spicing one of the mic feeds directly
to the headphones.  Would this cause a problem with the software?

Betty Woerner
Media Librarian
Reed College
Portland, OR 97219