LLTI Archives

September 2004, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 14:02:16 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "David Flores" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 06:42:51 -0400
>From: "David Flores" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7563 a question for users of Divace with XP

This is an old message, but I'm not sure if it's been aswered. Here at
Loyola we recently upgraded our machines to XP, and I noticed the same
problem (With Divace version 3.0.6). The problem in our case was that
Divace was being run on an acount without administrative rights. If you
run Divace on a machine with full administrative proviledges it should
work ok.

What you have to do if you'd like to have Divace run fine under a
limited, user account, is give full read/write access to the files in
the System folder that Divace is trying to update.

I watched one of our IT staff do it and learned a very useful trick that
will work for all sorts of software that refuses to run correctly on a
limited account: here's what you do. First login as Adminstrator. Then,
set your computer's clock to 1 year from now. Next run Divace once.

The next step is to set your system clock back to the normal date. Now,
run a search for all files in the System folder by modification date,
and look only for files that were modified in 2005 (or one year from
your current calendar year). You'll only find those files that Divace
updated while it was running. Now, grant read/write permission to all
users for just those files. After that, Divace will run on a limited XP
account without generating any errrors.

It was a neat trick, and I've never tried it myself, and I may be
leaving something out, but that was the essense of how it worked.

David Flores
Director: Language Learning Center
Loyola College in Maryland
4501 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21210
Ph: (410) 617-5230
Fax: (410) 617 2859
>>> [log in to unmask] 06/23/04 1:43 PM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 14:22:07 -0600
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: a question for users of Divace with XP
>Disposition-Notification-To: Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
>Return-Receipt-To: Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>

Hi everyone!
I have a problem.  We are trying to run Divace Solo on a system with XP.
We've done this in the past successfully, but we had to rebuild this
machine from scratch (hard-drive failure) and now it isn't working.
Whenever we try to play am .mp3 file, we get two error messages.  The
first is a Redner ppinOut error that says "file format invalid".  The
second is a Getsize error that says "Not implemented".  What is
particularly annoying is that everytime a person hits the Recap button,
or the Rewind button, etc., these error messages repeat themselves.
Anyone run into these before?  Any solutions?

Thanks!
Deanne Cobb
Language Lab Manager
Language Resource Centre