LLTI Archives

August 2004, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:36:26 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Bob Peckham <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:45:30 -0500
>Subject: SSH on a Mac
>From: Bob Peckham <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI <[log in to unmask]>

As many of you know, I try to manage a number of web pages.  This is
impossible to do from on campus where I work, because of teaching, lab
supervision, and a lot of face to face work.

I am forced to do all of my research, programming and file transfers from
home.  I just got my faculty exchange computer, a very robust Powerbook,
using OS 10.3.4.  I have two ways of working home-to-campus remote: I can
connect over my wireless broadband through VPN or I can do a telephone wire
modem connection.

My campus is concerned with security, and while I know that using a classic
FTP poses few big problems in either of the connections mentioned, things
can change.  I would ideally like to use a secure shell client (SSH), with
properly installed keys, etc.  This would allow some flexibility and more
security.  After a relative failure using FUGU (I cannot even get this to
query for a password...and I could net intall keys), I wonder if there is
something out there that might work with a Mac, and will not make my fragile
humanities brain think it is struggling with shell level strings.

TBob

Robert D.Peckham, Ph.D
Professor of French
Vice President, American Association of Teachers of French
Director, Muriel Tomlinson Language Resource Center
Director, Globe-Gate Intercultural Web Project
Department of Modern Foreign Languages
Univ. of Tennessee at Martin / Martin TN 38238
Email: [log in to unmask]