LLTI Archives

August 2004, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:35:14 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from David Herren <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: David Herren <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7608 SSH on a Mac
>Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 23:13:11 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

I'll echo Sharon's comments. Beyond question, the best, most powerful
and easiest to use ssh client for OSX is RBrowser. It has been around
for over a decade (originally written on NeXTStep and where I first
used it.) Version 3.3.5 is the current version. It's regularly updated
but always stable as a rock. Robert Vasvari is very responsive. I've
used every version released _daily_ since mid-1996. I manage half a
dozen web sites with it so it's one of those apps that launches
automatically when I log in. I simply could not do the work that I do
without RBrowser (or CocoaMySQL and SubEthaEdit).

<http://www.rbrowser.com/DownLoad.html>
<http://cocoamysql.sourceforge.net/>
<http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/>

On Aug 17, 2004, at 3:36 PM, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> My campus is concerned with security, and while I know that using a
> classic
> FTP poses few big problems in either of the connections mentioned,
> things
> can change.  I would ideally like to use a secure shell client (SSH),
> with
> properly installed keys, etc.  This would allow some flexibility and
> more
> security.  After a relative failure using FUGU (I cannot even get this
> query for a password...and I could net intall keys), I wonder if there
> is
> something out there that might work with a Mac, and will not make my
> fragile
> humanities brain think it is struggling with shell level strings.

/david

--
david herren - shoreham, vt us na terra solsys orionarm

The only product Microsoft will ever make that doesn't suck...
...will be a vacuum cleaner...