LLTI Archives

August 2004, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 15:13:57 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Bob Peckham <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:13:39 -0500
>Subject: Attendance software for Macs
>From: Bob Peckham <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>

I asked about this over a year ago, when we were much more ambitious about
what we wanted to do.  A severe budget crisis came upon us.  We are still a
bit short of money, but things are not as severe.  Our students in the first
4 courses of our curriculum are required to practice for two hours a week in
the language lab.

Currently, we account for our 850 hours/week of student lab time from an
roster for each of our 52 open hours.  The roster is from a word processing
document, and this also serves as a trough file to see if students are
signed up, when they totally forget what they did in the first week of
class.  When I query people on campus, they not their heads, say I believe
this can be done, but can never give me any solid leads.

==============

WHAT WE WANT THE SOFTWARE TO DO

Student's can register themselves in one of 52 hour slots
Program limits number of students signing up for a particular time
Students indicate teacher, course, course hour

1st student card swipe on a particular date = "time in"
2nd student card swipe on a particular date = "time out"
3rd student card swipe on a particular date = "time in"
4th student card swipe on a particular date = "time out"

Students need to be able to verify their use of lab
Perhaps a record of the card swipt needs to appear on the screen

"time in" and "time out" for each student is recorded in the appropriate one
of the 52 hour slots, but also goes automatically on a teacher's per/class
roster, so that a teacher can see how many lab sessions a student her has
had up to a certain date.

==============

We do ask students to give proof of what they have done in lab and we test
them on it.

Do any of you have any ideas which will not cost an armand a leg or cause
our teachers, who are also spend hours in lab supervision to do extra work.

TBob

Robert D.Peckham, Ph.D
Professor of French
Vice President, American Association of Teachers of French
Director, Muriel Tomlinson Language Resource Center
Director, Globe-Gate Intercultural Web Project
Department of Modern Foreign Languages
Univ. of Tennessee at Martin / Martin TN 38238
Email: [log in to unmask]