LLTI Archives

August 2004, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 15:33:04 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Herb Martin" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Herb Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"
>Subject: RE: #7602 public domain software
>Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 18:38:44 -0500

> I need to install digital to MP3 conversion software so my
> students can record their voice and save big files on our server.
> Is there such a thing out there? The program must be capable
> of converting voice and sound recordings from Microsoft's
> Recorder program to MP3. Also, I need to install the program
> on 30 PCs.
> Any help? You may send reply to

I suggest the free Audacity from:

        SourceForge.net

...Open Source software distributions.
Runs on Linux, MacOS, and Windows.
Supports WAV, AIFF, Ogg, and MP3 formats.

[If you wish to spend money the $55 CANADIAN
(10 licenses for $495 CA) Goldwave is nice:
        http://www.goldwave.com/
and it includes WMA support in additon. ]

You can record in the built in recorder
to process the files, or you can record
and edit very precisely in Audacity
itself.

To find the download:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/

Project "homepage" with info:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

It's free although you might consider a
donation to keep the project producing
such excellent software.

You will also likely need the (also free)
LAME encoder for Windows:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/winlame/

Audacity Wiki Home Page

http://sourceforge.net is the source of
much excellent, free, open source software
for Windows and other operating systems.

Another good one: If you own Nero CDROM
Burning software suite you already own
the "Nero Wave Editor" (which edits much
more than wav files.)