LLTI Archives

August 2004, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 15:42:40 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Marty DeWindt <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 15:45:57 -0500
>To:  Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
<[log in to unmask]>,        [log in to unmask]
>From: Marty DeWindt <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7606 Accented letters in Blackboard 6

This has been discussed on the Blackboard listserv hosted by Arizona State
University. And it looks like the problem persists with App Pack 2 - a
revision with other gotcha's as well as some fixes. I will post to this
listserv any solutions that come along.

You might want to subscribe. While it is a PROLIFIC listserv, it is also
valuable for the information you gain. Here's where you go to subscribe.
>Directions to BLKBRD-L archives and settings:
>http://is.asu.edu/instruction/faq/usingBLKBRD-L.html

Below is the essence of the thread on accented letters:

 From Jane Chin
>Someone on the list had reported the following with regard to AppPack
>2: "Text, previously displaying properly in BB, that was copied from
>Word and had the "smart quotes", etc. turned on, no longer display
>properly."
>
>Bullets and other character entities are being replaced with
>undesirable characters such as ? marks and the like. Has anyone found a
>relatively
>reasonable procedure to retrofit the problems in courses? What would
>you recommend as the easiest fix. I really don't want to go into each text
>area and type "&bull;", etc.
>
>I'm already getting faculty complaining about this and expecting a quick fix.
>
>Thanks,
>Jane <[log in to unmask]>

Response from Kate Boardman
>Me too on this. I've got the Spanish department breathing down my neck,
>because all accented 'o's and n tildes have gone - the o is an s and
>the n is a question mark. Interestingly, when you first submit the receipt
>shows the correct character, but then after clicking ok, it converts
>it. I doubt these are retrievable, but I'd love to hear different....
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Kate Boardman
>Learning Technologies Team
>IT Service
>University of Durham

Response from Corrie Bergeron
Reminds me of the problems we saw upgrading from Courseinfo 4 to
Blackboard 5.  Turns out they used a different character map.  At least
Quick Edit will let you fix the problems... :-(  You've submitted this as
a "system down"-level problem, I assume?

Corrie Bergeron
Instructional Designer
Lakeland Community College
7700 Clocktower Dr. Kirtland, OH, 44094-5198
Room C-2060d
Phone 440-525-7232

Marty

Marty DeWindt