LLTI Archives

August 2004, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 16:51:26 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Leslie Graul" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Sender: <[log in to unmask]>
>From: "Leslie Graul" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"
>Subject: Re: #7600 circulating software?
>Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 12:07:51 -0400

>I hope that everyone replies on-list, since this is
something that we all need to consider...
When you say "Language learning software", do you mean the
software that accompanies the text you adopted, or other
software?&nbsp; For adopted materials, the publisher will
respond to a request to loan or copy the software, put it
onto a server, etc.&nbsp; We follow the permissions outlined
by each publisher.
One is prohibited from unauthorized copying, hiring,
lending, public performance and broadcasting of LINC
software.&nbsp; &nbsp;That is self-explanatory.&nbsp; But
many of the other items we've purchased, such as Learn
Language Now! or PDQ Arabic, seem to be licensed to a single
computer or to a single user.&nbsp; Some agreements specify
that&nbsp;the software&nbsp;may only be used on one computer
at a time.&nbsp; I'm not sure whether one has the right to
loan these programs, and would like to see a discussion of
the meaning of the agreements.&nbsp;
At present, we don't loan any foreign language
software&nbsp;that we may want to have available in our
center, since we've lost parts or all of borrowed
language-learning&nbsp;sets&nbsp;created in earlier
formats.&nbsp; Going after faculty, staff and students to
return&nbsp;borrowed items&nbsp;can be&nbsp;time consuming
and unproductive; moreover, it creates ill will.&nbsp; Has
this been a successful venture for other institutions?&nbsp;
Leslie Graul
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
&nbsp;--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

> >From: [log in to unmask]
> >To: [log in to unmask]
> >Subject: circulating software?
> >Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 10:26:12 -0400
>
> For years we have barcoded not only the texts and videos
> in our LLRC, but also the language learning software.  The
> software is allowed to be signed out by students and
> faculty, just as our text collection may be signed out.
> However, in this age of copyright confusion, I am
> beginning to wonder if allowing students to sign out
> software puts us somewhere outside of the legalities of
> fair use.  What policies do the rest of you follow on
> software circulation?  (Please reply off-list!)  Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Sue
>
> Susan Breeyear
> Assistant Director, IT
> Instructional Technology Center
> St. Michael's College
> Box C, One Winooski Park
> Colchester, VT 05439
>
> 802 654-2821

Leslie B. Graul
Director of Instructional Media Services
Thiel College
724-589-2853