LLTI Archives

July 2004, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 16:36:43 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Wayne Stromberg, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 10:54:01 -0700
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: "Wayne Stromberg, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Online speech test authoring/administration tool

Staff at San Diego State University's Language Acquisition Resource Center
have developed an online speech test authoring and administration
tool,  "LARCStar," the LARC Speech Test Authoring Resource; it is available
to any interested party, without expense.  The speech recording tool uses
ActiveX technologies, and is available as open source code.  The primary
development goal was to provide an online speech testing tool which could
be used with ease and without any requirement of computer expertise on the
part of the faculty member who composes and administers the test, or the
student who takes it.  LARCStar requires that the student computer be a
PC.   Though the software seems very robust, this should be considered a
beta version.

For further information, please look at
http://larctest.sdsu.edu/larcstar.htm  On this site you will find a link to
a user's manual, which will give you a very full description of LARCStar,
if you should wish additional detail.  There is also a link for downloading
the materials.

LARCStar was developed by a team which includes Robin Park, Marcia Ledezman
Macias, and Chester Kim, with support from LARC's director, Mary Ann Lyman
Hager, very gratefully acknowledged.

I will be happy to respond to questions about LARCStar, sent to me at
[log in to unmask]  Please be aware, though, that I will be on
vacation until August 16, and won't be able to answer queries until I return.

Wayne Stromberg, Director (Operations)
LARC Multimedia Laboratory
San Diego State University