LLTI Archives

July 2004, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:34:20 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Daniel Tom <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:33:59 -1000
>From: Daniel Tom <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Multi-purpose Language Learning Classroom/Lab
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"

We are thinking of remodeling one of our labs.  It is a Tandberg IS 9 lab of
42 stations with one teacher console.  It is currently being used by
students who are assigned tapes that we do not have permission to duplicate
for take home use.  We already have a PC computer lab and a Mac computer lab
so are not looking to convert it into yet another room full of computers.
Our staff has been asked to brainstorm ideas about what the mission of the
room should be, what kind of equipment should go into it, etc.  We would
like the room to be a multi-purpose lab.  Suggestions made so far have
included having high-end computers and other hardware to allow faculty to
develop course material as a sort of faculty development lab.  However, we
do not want it to be so exclusive that it will be used only by a few and
hence become under utilized.  Another suggestion is to have equipment not
only for faculty but also for students so that instructors can bring in
their students during the class hour and have them develop materials as part
of their course work.  The room then would double as a class lab.

So far in my search of the web for a model at other institutions I have not
been able to find any.  I was able to find bits and pieces of this puzzle at
various institutions, but not all of the pieces in one multi-purpose
classroom/lab.  For example Berkeley has Flex-Tech classrooms.   Stanford's
Language Center is developing a state-of-the art, computer-based, language
laboratory that will be used as a teaching space and as a study/practice
space.  That also sounds like one piece.  The University of Washington's
Language Learning Center maintains the level 3 capabilities (Listen, Record,
Compare) of the Tandberg IS 9 lab with Sony's Virtuoso and Soloist software
in two of their digital classrooms and in their PC labs. Many institutions
have separate development suites or workstations for faculty that do not
appear to be available to students.  Berkeley has a research facility which
provides workstations for faculty to work on projects approved by a
Humanities Computing Committee.  This facility, however, sounds more
exclusive, which is what we don't want.

Do any of your institutions have a facility that I haven't been able to find
on the Web that can be a model for what we're looking for?  Perhaps such a
facility does not yet exist in a language learning facility, but may exist
in a facility for other academic disciplines such as science, computing or
business.  Of course there is a spending limitation also to our remodeling.
The cost cannot exceed $40,000.   Any ideas, suggestions and information
would be greatly appreciated.

Daniel Tom

Language Learning Center

University of Hawaii at Manoa