LLTI Archives

July 2004, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:48:36 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:27:00 -0600
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #7580 Online dictionaries for French

Our university library subscribes to Termium
http://www.termiumplus.translationbureau.gc.ca/ which is a Government of
Canada terminology and linguistic database.  Depending on what you are
wanting to use it for, this may be another option.  It is a highly
sophisticated dictionary, however, so we do not use it with our lower-level
undergrad students. Rather it is used by our upper-level students, grad
students and professors, mainly for translation work as it is a very
complete database. And, no, it isn't restricted to French Canadian French.
I've used it myself when working with French instructors on development
when we couldn't decide on the appropriate jargon for a situation.

Good luck with your search.
Deanne

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:04:00 EDT LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from Betty Woerner <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
> >Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:32:21 -0700 (PDT)
> >From: Betty Woerner <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
> >Subject: Online dictionaries for French
>
> We get the DIctionnaire Hachette online through our subscription to Oxford
> Reference Online.  Are any other French dictionaries avalable through an
> online subscription?  In the past, we loaded CD-ROMs of dictionaries onto
> specific machines in our language lab, but now our computer department
> tells me that all machines must have the identical configuration.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Betty Woerner
> Reed College
> Portland OR