LLTI Archives

July 2004, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:58:44 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:26:53 -0500
>From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7586 iPods instead of audio consoles

Hmmm... I did say that, didn't I? <grin>

We experimented using iPods for a phonetics course.  The entire course
materials were loaded on the iPods and loaned for the entire semester to
the students.  Obviously, this was a relatively small course.  No
thefts.  Students loved them.  However, we were able to do this as a
result of a grant from the campus computing center.  I'm sure we could
never have afforded these in the quantities we need for the size
language programs we have here.

However, with materials online, in MP3 format, students who already
have these devices can download and use the materials in their own iPods
(students have more money that we do <grin>).  We've never been asked
for assistance in doing so... we just assume students who have iPods
know how to do this.

Essentially we replaced our aging audio lab with an online vitual lab,
and with computer labs that could double/triple for other language
learning uses.

Read Gilgen
Director
L&S Learning Support Services
University of Wisconsin - Madison
(608) 262-1408
http://lss.wisc.edu

--- Forwarded Message from Jeff Magoto <[log in to unmask]>
---

>Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 10:54:01 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Jeff Magoto <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: iPods instead of audio consoles
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

An online posting today says that Duke is giving all 1800 of its
incoming
freshmen iPods for a variety of purposes.
http://www.marketwatch.com/news

Language learning wasn't mentioned as one of them, but just out of
curiosity, has anyone else who's faced with replacing their aging Sony
or
Tandberg labs (esp. in self-access centers) entertained the idea of a
large purchase of iPods or some sort of MP3 player/recorder combo that
could: a) easily hold their entire audio collection, b) be v. mobile
and
checked out, c) be easily upgraded, d) lower teacher/learner learning
curves, and e) be more useful (perhaps) to students' other academic
pursuits.

I can think of several objections (theft, no clear network model,
quality
of recordings, teacher unfamiliarity), but to paraphrase a Read Gilgen
maxim, once a technology becomes a consumer item, language teachers
get
interested.--jeff magoto

Jeff Magoto
Director, Yamada Language Center