LLTI Archives

July 2004, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:04:06 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Tracy Dingess" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:28:19 -0400
>From: "Tracy Dingess" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7574.9 LangLab director with "fraudulent" PhD (!)

amen, my "undies" bunched prematurely once or twice also... so badly, I
had to apologize to a few people for my mistakes.  HAVE I LEARNED MY
LESSON!  Yes, wait and see...and ask more questions.

--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 07:23:10 -0400
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #7574.7 LangLab director with "fraudulent" PhD (!)

> That said, I wonder how precisely the word "fraud" is being used in
this
> case. That's a strong word to toss out.

I'd like to add my voice to those asking whether we have the complete
and
accurate story on this issue.    As written, the "facts" lead many of
us to
a passionate conclusion.  I have been down this path a few times, and
sometimes I remember to doubt the "facts,"  before I get my undies in
twist.

I'm remembering with some embarrassment writing a passionate diatribe
in
reaction to an article in the Chronicle of Higher Education.  In
response
to anguished and outraged cries from forty or fifty of us champions
for
justice, Nina pointed out that some fact checking would be useful.
Then
she did the fact checking, and produced further evidence and
information.
It turned out that I had accepted an incomplete and inaccurate story
as
"the whole truth."

Having been humbled by that experience, I am trying to avoid making
the
same mistake again.  At least on lists where Nina is active.  :-)

Derek

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100