LLTI Archives

July 2004, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 08:39:36 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Samuels, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: Survey on Technology Materials and Computing Proficiency in Language
Programs
>Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 13:32:04 -0400
>From: "Samuels, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>

Greetings, Fellow IALLTers:

My colleagues and I recently received a grant to redesign our computing
proficiency requirement within the Modern Languages and Literatures Department.
Since Goucher College's computing proficiency requirement is implemented by each
department according to its own views and definition of "computing proficiency,"
there is a significant variety across programs and disciplines.  In some
departments, a single course contains all of the "technology" (a term bandied
about synonymously with "computing proficiency") and in others, a series of
courses contain various elements deemed to provide student majors with the
exposure and competency in the aforementioned and often amorphous "technology."
Another iteration has students taking a course in the Math / Computer Science
Department under the assumption that they'll learn what they need to in that
setting, and the major department's faculty is free to duck the entire issue of
computing proficiency altogether.  We have decided to tackle the issue head on,
and we've been charged with coming up with 3 models for implementation of a
revised CP Requirement and also for an assessment plan of each model.  I hope
the "a" word didn't scare you off yet!

As project principal for the grant, I could really use the help of my colleagues
across the vast LLTI and IALLT universe, in the form of answers to a brief (I
promise) survey that can be accessed at http://www.quia.com/sv/43825.html .
There are two areas of focus:  a general survey of computing proficiency or
technology requirements; and specific recommendations for course materials
(textbook, commercial software, etc.) for courses at the
composition/conversation level and beyond that make use of technology resources.
Unfortunately, lower level courses do not count toward our major so the
requirement must be completed at the 200 level and above.

In exchange for your participation, I am happy to share the results of the
survey, which will be anonymous.  If you would like to see the results, you will
have the opportunity to request such at the end of the survey, and I'll share
the information with you once it's all in.  Lastly, one lucky person who
completes the survey will receive a gift card as a thank you.

Any questions or comments can be directed to me off-list.  Thank you for your
assistance!  Please note that the survey closes on July 31, 2004.

Jeffrey D. Samuels
Instuctor, Modern Languages and Literatures
Coordinator, Thormann International Technology and Media Center
Goucher College
1021 Dulaney Valley Road
Baltimore, MD 21204
Tel. 410-337-6352 (after 8/16/04)