LLTI Archives

July 2004, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 08:39:33 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Edmund Dente" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: RE: #7574.1 LangLab director with "fraudulent" PhD (!)
>Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 14:29:12 -0400
>From: "Edmund Dente" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"

Forcefully and eloquently put, and I agree completely. What happens when the
next student at her school accused of plagiarism or other academic fraud cites
the school's selective enforcement of the basic ethical tenets of academia?

That said, I wonder how precisely the word "fraud" is being used in this case.
That's a strong word to toss out. The central question is whether she passed off
the translation as her own work or whether is was clear that it was someone
else's work that she was translating. That would make all the difference. The
original poster said, "Her dissertation, which she claimed was original
work...".  If that is indeed the case, how could the school ever justifiably
discipline ANY student for academic fraud if it doesn't discipline her?
Cheers,
Ed

"Che fai cosi impalato?
Il pollo hai tu comprato?"