LLTI Archives

July 2004, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:04:49 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:03:38 -0600
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #7574.9 LangLab director with "fraudulent" PhD (!)

Derek,
I completely agree with you.  I think we can accept that the comments made
so far into the discussion are based only upon the information so far
provided (as incomplete as that may be). I hope that it won't reflect on the
actual
situation if the truth is other than the information with which we have
been provided.  For my own comments, I certainly intended them more as a
discussion item around a theme as opposed to a judgement on the actual
situation.  I, too, believe that we could not truthfully make any true
judgement without all of the facts.  Only those involved in the situation
could accurately do this and only through a dialogue which would allow the
truth to emerge.

In the end, neither LLTI nor its parent organization IALLT has any true or
legitimate voice in the matter.  Only those members of the educational
institution can truly validate the information and determine a course of
action.  All we can do is debate whether an inquiry appears to be
necessary based on the information as put forward by the contributor to
the column.

Thank you for your reminder for caution.

Sincerely,
Deanne Cobb

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:18:23 EDT LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
> >Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 07:23:10 -0400
> >From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
> >Subject: Re: #7574.7 LangLab director with "fraudulent" PhD (!)
>
> > That said, I wonder how precisely the word "fraud" is being used in this
> > case. That's a strong word to toss out.
>
> I'd like to add my voice to those asking whether we have the complete and
> accurate story on this issue.    As written, the "facts" lead many of us
> a passionate conclusion.  I have been down this path a few times, and
> sometimes I remember to doubt the "facts,"  before I get my undies in a
> twist.
>
> I'm remembering with some embarrassment writing a passionate diatribe in
> reaction to an article in the Chronicle of Higher Education.  In response
> to anguished and outraged cries from forty or fifty of us champions for
> justice, Nina pointed out that some fact checking would be useful.  Then
> she did the fact checking, and produced further evidence and information.
> It turned out that I had accepted an incomplete and inaccurate story as
> "the whole truth."
>
> Having been humbled by that experience, I am trying to avoid making the
> same mistake again.  At least on lists where Nina is active.  :-)
>
> Derek
>
> Derek Roff
> Language Learning Center
> Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100