LLTI Archives

July 2004, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 13:11:43 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"
>Subject: Re: #7574 LangLab director with "fraudulent" PhD
>Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 15:38:43 -0500

My Suggestion?  Put her on as adminstrator or staff. I myself may be one of
the few Civil Service staff lab directors with a BA. We at NEIU used to have
PHD professors run it in the 1970s.  The school found it was cheaper to hire
staff. I personally know my five predecessors who moved on to other
administrative or academic persuits.

We are a small instituition less then 13K students but it seems to work and
I am satisfied enough to be here for almost 12 years.

Some campuses call such people academic support professionals. If your
institution can manufacture a budget and position then it will kill the
"plagarism case". Of course in my case I am not part of any teaching faculty
for obvous reasons (BA only). The school gets off cheap so no one has ever
thought it was any other way.

Got a BA in Secondary Ed French teaching but never looked back once I got a
job in the "alma mater".

Just a thought.
Tom Griffin
Northeastern Illinois University FL Lab