LLTI Archives

June 2004, Week 5

From:
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:20:21 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from LeeAnn Stone <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 16:20:08 -0700
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>From: LeeAnn Stone <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7570 Help! Need Salary and Job Description Info

Hi Jeff,

         My first recommendation to you is to review the LLTI archives to
catch yourself up on similar discussions over the past several years, then
note the "holes" among the info you need. Next, order a copy of the IALLT
Lab Management Manual. This provides lots of information from experienced
lab directors related to your questions. (Actually, you *might* have a copy
somewhere at Soka-- I recommended it to the previous Dean (Balitzer) and
Nancy Hodes when I consulted to help build the department and plan the
language center.)  You can order it from: http://www.iallt.org    (go  to
IALLT services and resources and then IALLT publications). You'll find this
a really useful resource.

         You'll find sample job descriptions as well. One item in
particular stood out in your attached draft:  $F0 Deal with staff shortages
in the labs
Seems to me that by phrasing your duties in this way, you are setting
yourself up to perpetually battle a shortage issue.  Additionally, it
suggests a very reactive-- rather than proactive-- approach to the duties.
After you review the Lab Management Manual you may find ways to convert
this item to reflect a more proactive approach to the limitations of the
job. For example, something like  "(In conjunction with campus
Administration) Develop creative ways to insure full staffing of facilities
to meet instructional needs."
         Finally, a brazen advertisement for SWALLT- the Southwest
Association for Language Learning & Technology (it's our local regional
group for IALLT)- Join us! We meet twice a year, in the Spring we meet in
conjunction with the Digital Stream conference, which is always held at CSU
Monterey Bay. The Fall conference moves around, and will be held at BYUH on
Thanksgiving weekend this year. More Ainformation on SWALLT is available
from the IALLT page (listed above) under  "About IALLT" and then "Regional
groups".
         Good luck!

LeeAnn Stone
(Past IALLT President)