LLTI Archives

June 2004, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:10:03 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 12:17:59 -0400
>Subject: Re: #7551To Wiki or not
>From: John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

I believe that Wiki is trademarking the term not copyrighting the word,
much like Apple. How would one be legally bared from using the term
wiki (which I think means  *fast*)?

Also, Wiki server software is open source, so the creators or
contributors derive no financial gain directly from it while adopters
could benefit from good, fast, free, Web database software, which is to
suggest that perhaps there is no *selling* of the language.

Just a spontaneous counterpoint.

-John
John de Szendeffy
Multimedia Language Lab
Center for English Language and Orientation Programs
Boston University
ph                      617.353.7957
fx                      617.353.6195
lab                     http://www.bu.edu/celop/mll/