LLTI Archives

June 2004, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 15:44:34 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Bob Majors <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 16:49:56 -0700
>Subject: Re: #7541 Problems running HyperCard-based "French Pronunciation
Tutor" on new Macs
>From: Bob Majors <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum

> We are still using a few ancient but pretty decent programs developed
> back in the 90's by HyperGlot Software Co.(no longer in existence)
> released on a CD-ROM called "LinguaRom-IV." For example, there is
> "French Pronunciation Tutor," "Spanish Pronunciation Tutor," "Spanish
> Verb Tutor", etc.
>
> These are HyperCard-based. They run fine on older Macs running System 9,
> but on new eMacs they no longer run properly in the Classic mode. The
> audio is choppy, and the pacing is off. When you listen to a list of
> words, for example, the intervals are irregular, and sometimes the
> sounds seem truncated.
>
> Does anyone have a fix or an explanation for this? Classic seems to be
> running the old Hypercard programs in a different way than System 9 did.

We've had good luck with HyperCard and audio running in Classic.  One thing
you might check is the format of the audio.  Some stacks used compression in
the audio that failed when new OSes were installed and the stacks weren't
reinstalled (were simply copied over) and sometimes the needed resources got
left out.  Without the right decoder software, problems could result,
although my recollection was that under these circumstances the audio simply
wouldn't play at all.  Roll up your sleeves and fire up ResMover, ResEdit,
etc., and have a peek if you can.

Bob