LLTI Archives

May 2004, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 14 May 2004 13:24:28 EDT
We have just been conducting an internal survey for the purpose of possibly
replacing Dartmouth's venerable (A.D. 1987) Blitzmail. Among the huge number of
server/client/etc. applications examined, Thunderbird stood out above the rest
of the competitors - not only for its OpenSource and Unicode capabilities but
also various other features being compatible with our existing Blitzmail system.

There has been no final decision. In fact we may be looking at developing
Thunderbird further or developing Blitzmail further. It's all a matter of
dollars and cents as well as having control over the code and the capability to
add features in the future.

I would suggest that this very important survey include checks on the capability
of having all features available on all platforms and at various locations on
and offf-campus.

Thanks so much, David Kanig and Brown University, for looking into this! I would
be happy (with permission from the Dartmouth Committee to be obtained)  to
forward some of the internal documents to you.

Otmar Foelsche