LLTI Archives

May 2004, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2004 15:37:31 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from David Kanig <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 15:06:54 -0400
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: David Kanig <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Matrix of e-mail possibilities

Proposition: we of LLTI collaborate on documenting the possibilities
and limitations of various e-mail clients for various character sets.
If folks would report combinations known to work and not work, I'd be
happy to compile them into tables in Word for periodic posting.

The variables would include:

Operating System: (WinXP, Win2K, OS X, OS 9)

E-mail Client: (Outlook, Eudora, Entourage, Outlook Web Access by:
Navigator 4, Navigator 7, IE, Safari).

Directionality: (Outgoing, Incoming)

Character Set: (Latin-2, Arabic, Hebrew, CJK, Cyrillic...)

E-mail server/protocol: (assume that your institution's server is
configured for two-byte processing).

Examples of reports that could be posted to LLTI:

Outgoing in Cyrillic from Outlook on WinXP to Eudora on WinXP =
works/does not work (report which).
Outgoing in Cyrillic from Outlook on WinXP to Outlook on OS 9 =
works/does not work (report which).
--
David Kanig

(401) 863-7090