LLTI Archives

May 2004, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 4 May 2004 16:42:28 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 15:52:39 -0600
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #7496 First-Year French texts

We have just started using a program called Entre Amis with our first year
French students.  It is a bit quirky in regards to the progression of the
book, and the order in which materials are introduced, so you would have to
judge for yourself whether or not you could work within that context.  So
far, we have been happy with it comparably.

What it does have to its advantages is a wealth of extra resources.  There
is a full audio program, a full video program, a multimedia CD-ROM and a
expansive website.  The students buy the CD-ROM with the text so the
only materials that are only available in the lab or classroom are the
workbook audio resources (textbook are on the website) and the video
program (although some of the video materials are on the CD-ROM or on the
website).  The course is designed to allow for a lot of communication
activities in the classroom, but the audio program for the lab is primarily
listening comprehension.  There aren't the same speaking drill exercises
that are found in most textbooks.

For the most part we are finding that this has actually improved students
listening and speaking skills.  Instructors focus more on the speaking in
the classroom and more on the listening (and some drill exercises) in the
lab. They have been happy so far with students' results on speaking and
listening tests so far. We do have one last level to teach with the book,
however, so we cannot speak to the last 1/3 of the textbook.

Good luck with your own foray into textbook selection.  :)

Deanne Cobb

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:56:13 EDT LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from "Ann Therkelsen" <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
> >Subject: First-Year French texts
> >Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:02:39 -0700
> >From: "Ann Therkelsen" <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: <[log in to unmask]>
>
> Hello, colleagues,
>
> I'd be very interested in knowing what first-year college-level French
> texts you
> are using, and how you (and the students) like them.  I'm looking for
> something
> that has a good core text supported by materials that can be used
> effectively in
> a language lab setting or on students' home computers.
>

> Thank you,
>
> Ann Therkelsen
>
> Whatcom Community College
>
> Bellingham, WA