LLTI Archives

May 2004, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2004 14:58:30 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Edmund Dente" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: RE: #7505.1 Seeking Recommendations for Mic Pre-Amp (!)
>Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 17:10:29 -0400
>From: "Edmund Dente" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"

> > Question: Tube or solid state?  For ordinary voice recording, is
> > using a tube-based pre-amp worth the hassle of having to replace
> > tubes?  Is anyone unhappy with solid state pre-amps?
>
> I find solid state electronics to be superior in all ways for my
> uses, and leave tubes to the nostalgia junkies and audiophiles

Speaking of tubes...
Did anyone else see the Woody Allen movie <<The Curse of the Jade
Scorpion>>?
The movie is set in the mid-1940s. In one scene, Woody turns on a parlor
console radio in his living room (Looked to me like a Zenith, 1942
model,  just before they ceased production for the war.)
The instant he turned it on, music (or news, I forget) came booming out
of the speaker. Only "nostalgia junkies, audiophiles" and old f**ts like
me would appreciate this faux pas. Of all people, Woody should have
known better. (Maybe he had it on "standby" :-) ) I wonder if anyone has
put it on IMDB Goofs yet.
Ed

 Edmund N. Dente
Director, Language Media Center
Asst Director, Media Services      617.627.3036
Tufts University                        [log in to unmask]
Medford, MA  02155             http://ase.tufts.edu/lmc