LLTI Archives

May 2004, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2004 14:58:35 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Sonja Fritzsche <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 09:46:44 -0500
>Subject: Re: #7507.1 Braille books (!)
>From: Sonja Fritzsche <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

Dear Carol,

I taught German to a blind student.  What was quite helpful was to send my
handouts to disability services a day or two in advance and they created
braille copies.  The student then got into the regular habit of going to
disability services before she came to my class.  It was important for them
to write the title of the handout on top of the braille version.  Sometimes
my student wasn't always able to find where we were in the book or which
worksheet we were working with.  I could then read the top of the brailled
worksheets and find it for her more quickly.  Also it is important for the
instructor to remember to describe everything in class, as the student is
not able to see charts or what the instructor is pointing to.  It is very
important for the instructor to ask the student after each class or two how
everything is going. What are their frustrations?  What are they getting ok?
Once several access issues are worked out at the beginning of the class and
a routine is established for getting materials, things should work out well.

I did a lot of work in the computer lab in that class.  For chat room
exercises, I had this student go to disability services and log in from
there and work with it using Jaws software, which reads everything aloud to
her.  This worked rather well.  For computer lab class work that involved
grammar exercises or other work using the www, the university hired a
German-language student to act as a reader for her.  This worked very well.

Best,

Sonja

Sonja Fritzsche
Asst. Prof. of German and East European Studies
Fulbright Coordinator
Modern and Classical Languages and Literatures
Illinois Wesleyan University
P.O. Box 2900
201 E. University
Bloomington, IL 61702-2900