LLTI Archives

May 2004, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 4 May 2004 16:42:41 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Meechan, Philomena" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: RE: #7500 Remote collaboration (!)
>Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 21:21:01 -0400
>From: "Meechan, Philomena" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"

Hello
We have experimented integrating videoconferencing into a  6 week exchange
between Business Spanish students at the University of Michigan and
Business-Legal English at the Universidad San Pablo - CEU, in Madrid, Spain.  We
used both the Polycom ViaVideo desktop cameras and the Polycom ViewStation
cameras. Format included both one-to-many (self intros and cultural
presentations) as well as small group discussions (3 US and 2 Spain).  During
the class, the small group discussion transitions between AOL Instant Messanger
text chat and then the group gets up and moves to videoconference. Connecting
two videoconferencing cameras during the hour, allowed us to increase the time
spent live per group.  I realize this is very general -- would be happy to share
more info should you have additional questions.

Philomena Meechan
University of Michigan
Language Resource Center