LLTI Archives

May 2004, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 16:48:02 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 16:31:51 -0600
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>cc: David Kanig <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7505 Seeking Recommendations for Mic Pre-Amp

>> From: David Kanig <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: Seeking Recommendations for Mic Pre-Amp
>
> Background: We are accepting speech input from an un-powered dynamic
> microphone, XLR connector.  We're recording human speech in
> monaural. We'd like to boost the signal at the mic.
>
> Question: Tube or solid state?  For ordinary voice recording, is
> using a tube-based pre-amp worth the hassle of having to replace
> tubes?  Is anyone unhappy with solid state pre-amps?

I find solid state electronics to be superior in all ways for my
uses, and leave tubes to the nostalgia junkies and audiophiles.  When
I last searched for a mic pre-amp, I couldn't find any that met my
needs for less than $100.  On the other hand, there are many nice
electronic audio mixer boards available at lower prices.  These work
fine as mic pre-amps, and offer additional flexibility and features.
This is not always a good thing, since it means more knobs, jacks and
things to confuse the user.  But if trained, or trainable people will
be using the equipment, this might meet your needs.

We have bought several models in the Eurorack line, made by
Behringer.  The UB502 is currently selling at $39.99 from
musiciansfriend.com, 800-776-5173.  We have three of these, and they
have served us well.  We also have a UB1002 ($60) and a UB1202 ($80).
All of these have at least one XLR input, and all have produced
excellent sound for our modest recording needs, which like David's,
are mostly voice recording for instructional purposes.  The MXB1002
($99), which we don't have, will run on batteries, which can be
useful if portable field recording is involved.  Other models and
manufacturers abound, at varying prices, sizes and feature sets.

Derek

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, MSC03-2100
Ortega Hall Rm 129, 1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: [log in to unmask]