LLTI Archives

May 2004, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 16:48:06 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 09:55:08 -0400
>Subject: Re: #7490.7 recommendation for headphones (!)
>From: John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

  On Tuesday, May 4, 2004, at 04:42  PM, Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> This is not a feature of the Califone 3066AV, but rather of the iMac.
> Since the iMac has a built-in microphone, there isn't a separate
> microphone input jack/port.  This means that no analog microphone
> will connect directly to an iMac, which is unfortunate in a lab
> situation.  A solution for using an external mic is to get a USB mic
> or input device.  I don't know of any headphones integrated with a
> USB microphone.
>
> When necessary, we use the $35 Griffin iMic, which will accept any
> 1/8" microphone or line level input, digitize it, and input it to the
> iMac via USB.  It's annoying and expensive to equip a lab with iMics
> just to be able to plug in a microphone, but I don't know of a
> cheaper, simpler way.  The Califone 3066AV plus iMic should work fine
> with an iMac.

CRT iMacs (up to 500Mhz slot loaders, anyway) have analog audio input
jacks. We have used them to digitize audio.  Beginning with the eMac,
most Mac models lost the analog in. We use the Plantronics DSP 500 USB
headset with uni-directional mic for recording. We have about 50 of
them and they perform very well. We used to use the built-in mic in the
iMac, and in most cases it worked well, except that it's a sensitive
omni-directional element and picks up ambient noise, such as HVAC and
nearby students.

-John
John de Szendeffy
Multimedia Language Lab
Center for English Language and Orientation Programs
Boston University
ph                      617.353.7957
fx                      617.353.6195
lab                     http://www.bu.edu/celop/mll/