LLTI Archives

May 2004, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 4 May 2004 16:42:34 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Garry Bohm <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 11:40:49 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>From: Garry Bohm <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7500.5 Mellel: word processor for OS X

Hi Laura,

The problem with Hindi and the Devanagari script, for example, is
that (like many applications) Mellel doesn't support "glyph
variants."  Which means that you can't type the essential conjoined
consonant characters.  I contacted Ori Redler, one of the developers
of Mellel, about this, and here is his response:

"Currently, Mellel does not offer full support for Devangari and
related languages (including Sanskrit) offered in Mac OS X through a
technology called AAT. We plan to add this support with our next
version (Mellel 1.8) through support for the OpenType technology,
which is similar to AAT, but used by a much wider range of fonts and
applications (mainly from Microsoft and Adobe).  This support will
not enable using Devanagari MT (which is using AAT) but will enable
using the whole range of Devanagari and Sanskrit fonts for Windows
(which will more then compensate for that, I think)."

It was truly impressive to receive a very prompt response from the
developer indicating that they are aware of the issue and working to
solve it.

You can type the conjoined consonant characters in TextEdit from the
character palette but without the advantage of more word processing
features.

Best,

Garry Bohm

--

Garry Bohm
Instructional Technologist for Foreign Languages