LLTI Archives

April 2004, Week 5

From:
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:38:48 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Garry Bohm <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:59:38 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>From: Garry Bohm <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7500 Mellel: word processor for OS X

Hi David,

I recently used Mellel to put together training materials for faculty
and students on typing in Japanese, Hebrew and Arabic, so the text
was mixed roman and non-roman.  I was very pleased with Mellel's
performance.  It shows great promise as a unicode compliant editor
under OS X, and the company seems to be very diligent about creating
progressive updates.  The pricing is also very attractive, and makes
it affordable in academic contexts.  I would encourage you to
download and try the free demo.  The only limitation is that before
you register printed pages have an "unregistered" watermark.
(Personally, I hope the company continues to expand the program's
layout capabilities in the direction of FrameMaker, since Adobe
continues to avoid adding unicode compliance.)

Best,

Garry Bohm

--

Garry Bohm
Instructional Technologist for Foreign Languages