LLTI Archives

April 2004, Week 5

From:
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:38:50 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 08:53:42 -0400
>Subject: Re: #7500 Mellel: word processor for OS X
>From: John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

On Thursday, April 29, 2004, at 03:24  PM, David Kanig
<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience with a word processing package for Mac
> OS X called Mellel?  It's Unicode compliant, unlike Word for OS X.
> I'd be especially interested to hear how well it functions in
> non-Roman character sets, spell checking and document formatting.

The next version of Office for X, Office 2004, will, reportedly, be
Unicode compliant but will not support right-to-left languages. You
probably know that TextEdit in OS X is Unicode compliant, but I
wouldn't call it a fully functional word processor.

-John
John de Szendeffy
Multimedia Language Lab
Center for English Language and Orientation Programs
Boston University
ph                      617.353.7957
fx                      617.353.6195
lab                     http://www.bu.edu/celop/mll/