LLTI Archives

April 2004, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 16:25:49 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:49:34 -0600
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #7481 Voice Recognition Software for English and Spanish

Office XP has these features built-in.  See
http://www.microsoft.com/office/previous/xp/speech.asp for details.  Some
time must be spent, however, in training the computer to understand and
recognize the user's voice so it is something that is meant as a tool over
time, not as an immediate quick fix.  I'm not sure how it is comparable to
other programs on the market, but my husband who is a non-native speaker
has played around with it and after only a couple of training sessions, he
was able to achieve fairly high accuracy.

Deanne Cobb
University of Regina

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:06:13 EDT LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from Donnie Sendelbach
> ---
>
> >Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 11:18:24 -0500
> >From: Donnie Sendelbach <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: [log in to unmask]
> >Subject: Voice Recognition Software for English and Spanish
>
> LLTI,
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations on voice recognition software that
> would transform voice into Word documents in both English and Spanish?
> That is, the prof would speak in English and the Word documents would be
> English; when he uses it by speaking Spanish, it would type the correct
> diacritics in Spanish.
>
> Info on free downloads is always appreciated!
>
> Thanks, Donnie
>
> --
> Donnie Sendelbach, Ph.D.
> Director of the Humanities Computer