LLTI Archives

April 2004, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 14:30:31 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:33:14 -0400
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #7483 Russian, Japanese and Chinese fonts in Tandberg and Sony
labs

We tried with Japanese a couple of years ago when our Tandberg lab was
new. In a way it was good because we installed Japanese Global IME (as
recommended) and that has come in handy.

However, we could not get the Japanese characters to "take" in the
Divace interface. The attempt involved quite a bit of fiddling with
fonts and so on; we tried typing using IME in Notepad and then uploading
the file, and also typing directly. What we ended up with was "ascii
garbage" as the prof. eloquently put it.

So the students doing Japanese subtitles just use Romanji.

I would think Russian would be a lot easier, though we haven't had a
request for it.

Judy Shoaf
University of Florida, Gainesville