LLTI Archives

March 2004, Week 5

From:
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 16:02:14 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Marlene Johnshoy <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:21:36 -0600
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Marlene Johnshoy <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #7459 Minimum Technology Skills for Educators

>--- Forwarded Message from "Carol Reitan" <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>>Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:50:47 -0800
>>From: "Carol Reitan" <[log in to unmask]>
>>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>  >Subject: Minimum Technology Skills for Educators
>
>I'm wondering if anyone has compiled or knows where to locate any set
>of standards describing the minimum technology skills needed by today's
>instructors in higher ed?  (My own personal list of basic skills would

Hi Carol,

Oh, do I have resources for you!  I love this stuff!   Most of these
are more than the "can you push the right buttons" type of checklists.

You'll want to take a look at ISTE's NETS project - national
educational technology standards for teachers - and students and
administrators!    http://cnets.iste.org/teachers/index.shtml

There was also a nice article written on the NETS for preservice
teachers - if that's what our new FL teachers are being required to
do, we should look at upgrading our skills to the same levels:

Levin, Barbara B.  "Using Portfolios to Fulfill ISTE/NCATE Technology
Requirements for Preservice Teacher Candidates."   Journal of
Computing in Teacher Education.  Vol 12, No 3, pp. 13 - 20.
It includes a 3-level checklist of competencies.

But there are others you could look at, too:

Graham Davies "can do" lists for FL teachers on the ICT4LT website

InTime - Integrating New Technologies Into the Methods of Education
(also based on ISTE's)
http://www.intime.uni.edu/model/technology/tech.html

Doug Johnson's Code 77 Rubrics for Self-Evaluation
http://www.doug-johnson.com/dougwri/rubrics2002.html

California Technology Assessment Profile (CTAP2)  rubrics
http://ctap2.iassessment.org/  - go in as guest to take a look at
them - but they seem to be having server trouble this afternoon...

Milken Exchange of education technology has a "Continuum"  with 3
stages of adaption
http://www.mff.org/publications/publications.taf?page=159

Hope some of this is useful to you!

Marlene