LLTI Archives

March 2004, Week 5

From:
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 16:02:12 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Beth Secrist <[log in to unmask]> ---

>To: Language Forum <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Beth Secrist <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Blackboard 6+ and timed assessments
>Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 13:21:08 -0500

Hello fellow LLTIers,

Our Blackboard server is managed by BB so obviously there is a little
mistrust as to the information I receive from them about the
capabilities of BB. We would like to put our language placement exams
in BB, but it seems that the "timed" assessments are, in fact, not
really timed. One minute before the end of the exam, students receive a
message saying that they have a minute left, but do not receive an
additional alert when the minute has expired. BB does not kick them out
of the test, so the students may continue. I would have to manually
examine the placement exam results and assess some kind of penalty for
those students who go over. The students who go over are indicated with
an ! in the gradebook showing the amount of time they went over.

Can anyone confirm that this is normal behavior for BB 6? Has anyone
found a work-around that would effectively terminate the assessment and
still record data properly to the gradebook?

Thank you for any assistance, Beth

Beth Secrist
Director, Language Resource Center
Dept. of Modern Foreign Langs. & Lits.