LLTI Archives

March 2004, Week 5

From:
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:41:45 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Bob Majors <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:00:26 -0800
>Subject: Re: #7464 Radmind and OSX and languages
>From: Bob Majors <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum

> Has anyone had success in using Radmind with OSX with multiple
> fonts/keyboards?

I haven't, but do use bombich.com's Carbon Copy Cloner and NetRestore.
Restoring images, after modifying the Input Menu, was not working -- the new
Input Methods weren't showing up.  After a lot of analyzing of the file
system, I discovered that the plist file maintaining the state was in
.../Preferences/ByHost/.  Since it was in ByHost, it was being tagged with
the MAC address of the machine I created the clone on.  I created an
AppleScript to deal with the problem.  This might give you an idea, if
you're having a similar problem:

tell application "Terminal"
    activate
    do shell script "sudo cp <the path of the source plist file>
    /Library/Preferences/com.apple.HIToolbox.plist"
    password <myAdminPassword> with administrator privileges

    close window 1  -- just cleanup
    display dilaog "Keyboard Input menu stuff fixed."
    buttons ["OK"] default button 1  -- Always give feedback.
end tell

You might want to use an alternative, more secure method to posting the
password in the AppleScript, even though the script cannot be read by our
students.

Bob Majors
Language Learning Center
University of Washington