LLTI Archives

March 2004, Week 5

From:
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:41:46 EST
--- Forwarded Message from John Stewart <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date:         Mon, 29 Mar 2004 16:48:48 -0500
>From: John Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Re: #7464 Radmind and OSX and languages
>To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 16:02:07 EST, LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>--- Forwarded Message from Barbara Sawhill <[log in to unmask]> -
--

>>Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 00:08:59 -0500
>>From: Barbara Sawhill <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Radmind and OSX and languages
>>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>
>Hello:
>
>Has anyone had success in using Radmind with OSX with multiple
>fonts/keyboards?
>
>Thanks
>

>Barbara
>

>Barbara Sawhill
>Director, Cooper International Learning Center
>Oberlin College
>Oberlin OH 44074

Hi Barbara;

I'm assuming (and what does that make me?  No comments from the MWALLT
peanut gallery...) that you are ending up with only the boring US keyboard
layout on your Radmind-managed machines?

The activation of additional input methods in the menu bar is a user
preference -- specifically:
/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.HIToolbox.<MAC_addre
ss>.plist

The reason it's not being duplicated on other machines is that it is
a "ByHost" preference, i.e., the preference is named with the MAC address
of the machine.  If that MAC address isn't the same as the machine it's
running on, it will be ignored -- so the preference that's being blown out
to all of your radmind machines has your master machine's MAC address, not
their own.

Most people seem to deal with this using a "ByHost Renamer" script --
that's what I use here, and it works fine.  I'd suggest going to
http://www.macosxlabs.org and doing a search for "byhost".  There are a
number of scripts available on that site, and several in-depth
explanations.  Let me know if you need more specific info on this.  It
requires wrapping your brain around it a bit, but is satisfying to
accomplish.

Jan