LLTI Archives

March 2004, Week 5

From:
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 16:02:25 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Roberto Perez <[log in to unmask]> ---

At 02:28 PM 3/23/04, Carol Reitan wrote:

>I'm wondering if anyone has compiled or knows where to locate any set
>of standards describing the minimum technology skills needed by today's
>instructors in higher ed? [snipped] Does your
>institution require informally or formally the acquisition of certain
>basic skills?

Hi there,

I'm not sure this is what you are looking for, but the National Council for
Accreditation for Teacher Education (NCATE) has the  standards National
Educational Technology Standards (NETS). created for them by the
International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE). I understand they
mostly apply to middle/high school teachers, though. At Florida State
University students in the College of Education have to complete an
Introduction to Ed Tech. The College has been reviewed/certified by NCATE
as meeting current technology standards in the formation of future teachers.

The College of Communications offers Comm. and the Internet and Desktop
Publishing to its undergraduate students. The first class deals with
Internet technologies (email, search engines, etc.), while the other covers
more specific/advance authoring programs (Photoshop, Pagemaker,
Dreamweaver) that those specific students will use in the rest of their
programs.

As you can see, each department seems to have a different way of covering
technology skills. As for the university as a whole, there is a Computer
Literacy class offered by the Computer Science Department that is
obligatory for all freshmen. Not sure what their program of studies is, but
they use SAMXP/TOM as part of the class for online training purposes. Some
of those contents overlap with similar content in the specific classes
individual departments offer,

Regards,

Roberto Perez